Saturday, October 17, 2009

Copper Findings


I have turned to metal work since the weather has cooled down or according to the weatherman, the Cold Front. It is 55 at night. That is not cold, it is cool.

While puttering at the beach some months ago I saw some metal sticking out of the water that caught my attention. It wound up being about 10 to 12 feet of 8 to 10 gauge copper solid tubing/wire.

So I took it home to add to our recycling bin.Then it became my new tolit paper holder.

As everyone knows that has read my obcession with my bathroom redo, I am making everything for it.

I had to look up soldering, copper, annealing etc. It did give me an excellent excuse to use my small oxyceltelene cutting torch.

I have also decided to take on the challenge of making my own bathroom sink. I want to make it out of a copper sheet. You Tube has very little in the way of vids on this topic. I was surprised.

I did get that 18 to 20 gauge will be ok to use 14 to 16 would be best but would require more mula and heat. I have a propane torch and about 30 bucks. I did find that all I need for the 20 gauge copper is a tree stump and a rubber mallet. No lie. I am stoked because I really want a copper sink but really would never spend 200 on a sink. My hubby looked at me and asked me why i don;t just paint it...
It is so not the same.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the feedback you've recently left. You said you thought it was a lot of information, but it was just the kind of information I was looking for. I am pretty resistent to taking medication (okay, really resistent) for a lot of reasons. However, that doesn't mean that I don't often consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'd love to have a garden. I can't wait to one day have a house. I think I've talked my husband into joining a CSA next year (let's hope we have the money). Also, the deer meat doesn't bother me. It seems like you have high ethical standards about it. Living where I do, I have a high proportion of students who hunt and they've explained to me their personal ethics and they sound a whole lot better than industrial warehouses'. I feel like my students had much more of a connection with their food sources than I do and they seemed to respect the animals. I'm pretty sure I could never hunt or slaughter my own animals for meat, so I'll probably continue to eat very little of it.

    ReplyDelete